Top Tips to help your child to enjoy reading
- Go to the library – it’s free to join. There are books, audio books and magazines for children.
- Make time to read after school or at bedtime; reading together for 10 minutes makes books special.
- Be positive and praise your child for what they do.
- Follow their interests and let them read and re-read their favourite books
- If English is not your first language, you can talk about picture books in any language or ask your library for dual language children’s books.
- Be a positive influence by reading books, newspapers and magazines of any language.
- Encourage your child to choose their own books, comics and magazines as soon as they can.
- Make a special place to keep your child’s books; a book box or a bookshelf shows that books are cared for.
- Visit www.wordsforlife.org.uk/ for tips, books recommendations and free activities.
Try some of these sites to complete some Literacy activities!
Family Reading For Pleasure
Booktrust - http://www.booktrust.org.uk
National Literacy Trust - http://www.literacytrust.org.uk
Oxford Reading Support - http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/reading-owl/top-tips-for-reading
Silly, fun stories - http://www.sillybooks.net
Finding and Choosing Recommended Books for your Child